Allison Levick Lecture December 2024
Join Dr Stuart Ryder at Macquarie University as he presents
Fantastic Radio Beasts (FRBs, or Fast Radio Bursts as they are more commonly known) are a great Australian success story. From their initial discovery with the Parkes Murriyang radio telescope barely 15 years ago, to the world-leading capability of the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder to pin down exactly where FRBs come from, Australian astronomers have been at the forefront of this rapidly-evolving field. How can something that lasts less than a millisecond and might never be seen again be used to reveal previously "missing matter" between galaxies? In this talk Dr Stuart Ryder shares the excitement of finding the most distant FRB ever, and shows why radio telescopes and optical telescopes working together is so vital in understanding where FRBs come from, and what they can teach us about the Universe.
FAST RADIO BURSTS BEASTS
- Fri, 08 MarCoonabarabran08 Mar 2024, 2:00 pm AEDT – 10 Mar 2024, 2:00 pm AEDTCoonabarabran, Observatory Rd, Coonabarabran NSW 2357, AustraliaJoin us on a journey to Australia's first Dark Sky Place in the Warrumbungle National Park. This exclusive tour invites lighting experts to explore pristine night skies, stargaze, and unwind at the Astronomers Lodge near Australia's National Optical Telescope. Witness the magic of the night.
- Sat, 23 MarWhitehorse23 Mar 2024, 9:00 am GMT-7 – 01 Apr 2024, 2:00 am GMT-7Whitehorse, Whitehorse, YT, CanadaEmbark on a captivating 11-day Northern Adventure from March 23 to April 1, 2024! Witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights in Whitehorse, explore the vibrant city of Vancouver, and journey through the stunning Canadian Rockies in Jasper National Park.
- Mon, 01 AprHouston01 Apr 2024, 1:00 pm GMT-6 – 11 Apr 2024, 10:00 am GMT-6Houston, 5701 Main St, Houston, TX 77005, USAWant more than a total solar eclipse with Fred Watson? What if we add in a visit to two great NASA Space destinations - NASA's Houston and Cape Canaveral Space Centres- and Dark Skies in Texas!
- Thu, 27 JuneNorth Adelaide27 June 2024, 4:00 pm ACST – 07 July 2024, 12:00 pm ACSTNorth Adelaide, King William Rd, North Adelaide SA 5006, AustraliaEmbark on an epic 11-day journey through South Australia's remote and captivating landscapes. From opal mines to ancient fossils, from stunning gorges to the famous Flinders Ranges, this tour has everything including the amazing Dark Sky Places in the Murray River and Arkaroola.
- Sat, 18 JanSweden & Norway18 Jan 2025, 3:00 pm – 30 Jan 2025, 10:00 amSweden & Norway, Nils Ericsons Plan 4, 111 64 Stockholm, SwedenThe Aurora Borealis is a result of particles of solar wind that travel from the sun 145 million km to Earth where they are drawn towards the magnetic North and South Poles. Join Fred Watson, as he travels to his favourite destination, the Arctic, to see his favourite phenomenon, the Aurora!
- Sat, 01 FebReykjavík01 Feb 2025, 10:30 am – 11 Feb 2025, 2:00 pmReykjavík, Reykjavík, IcelandJoin Fred Watson and Marnie Ogg as we explore the land of fire and ice, where captivating astronomical phenomena dance in the night sky and ancient geological marvels shape the landscape.